Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A community coming together.

Hello my name is Alicia McWilliams-McCullum. I'm the aunt of the accused terrorist David Williams. Like many of our young men my nephew has experienced the prison system and when he heard of a program I developed called Vision Beyond The Walls (Post-Incarceration Resurrection) , he like many others wanted to further understand my views. I then explained: Vision Beyond The Walls mission is to enhance the quality of life for formerly incarcerated individual and their communities in order to facilitate a transition from incarceration to re-entry into society thru a transitional training live in site. Vision Beyond The Walls will work in conjunction with state and local agencies to provide a comprehensive and holistic approach to revitalizing the lives of formally incarcerated individuals.
Clever right! I developed this mission in 2006 and have been working on it in a devoted fashion ever since. I have created my own surveys and have hit the streets with them to find out how mass incarceration effects a community and family as a whole. I have made it my business to help our people and believe no community should be left behind. Vision Beyond the Walls mantra is
I MATTER:
I-Integrity
M-Motivation
A-Assertive
T-Team work
T-Trust
E-Excellence
R-Respect
The philosophy will be:
Thru Integrity,Motivation,Team work,Trust,Excellence, and Respect, I will rise beyond my fear find my path Achieve great success because
I MATTER, I MATTER, I MATTER

My nephew thought this was a great idea he like many others was interested in the vision and mission. Stumbling through life like many of us do he got caught up in the web. I ask myself If your working for change how can something like this happen to someone in your family?

THE SEED!!!!
Don't read this, and in your mind form some sort of fictitious monster whom you will say I blame for my nephews convictions look the horse in the mouth and take a look at what is happening to our family it could easily happen to yours.The seed is being planted into the heart of communities big and small.The government is making scenarios and problems to solve. Is this what the future holds for our communities , the government praying on those unskilled. A future where they target ex-offenders. Sending informants into a small urban community with the complexity of impoverishment on families.

3 comments:

Vision Beyond The Wall said...

I'm really not understanding how a young man from the hood oneday becomes a terrorist the next day literally overnight. David Williams is not a terrorist. He is simply a young man that was caught in the grips of the harse reality that he may lose his brother. He just lost a cousin in April and he feared his brother was next. He comes from a family that loves God and has nothing against the Jewish community. It was all about money for him.
Fools yes....Terrorist... not by a long shot.
The government could've done better if they were looking for terrorist.

Anonymous said...

I remember my grandmother use to say " It takes a community to raise a child" Back in the day, I was afraid of my next door neighbor like she was my mother. Today i see alot of young men and women who do not respect their elders or for much part themselves. But i know one person who did. Onta Williams.....
I know Onta Williams on a personal level, A terrorist? absolutely not.. He was my son's football coach and mentor for 8 years consistantly in which he volunteered. a father to my son on and off the field when times were hard. A big brother to me. He is a father to his children,Husband,uncle, brother,cousin and friend. He would help anyone who he can in our neighborhood. this is not in his character not at all, Please believe me. I still can't believed today the he would be named a terrorist( HE IS NOT).I think it was a negative decision on his behalf.I don't believe that,that was a thought that crossed his mind.
He also was a victim of the streets, He lost his cousin due to street violence. a couple of years after He lost his mom.Then the down fall of his marriage and rocky relationships.The seed was planted in his pocket, not grown from the root.


Lets say our prayer for all of the young men.. In God we trust!

Vision Beyond The Wall said...

This is about family and community. People seperated by views and stubborness, but we need to grow and evolve to a united front.